Below you will find the Earth Day and Week schedule for all campuses.
The MC Fashion Show
What is Your GREEN act?
Make a difference at Montgomery College during Earth Week!
Monday April 23 – The MC Fashion Show, Theatre Arts BuildingThe MC Fashion is hosted by the Fashion Club, the Business and Economics Club, and the MC SIFE team and will feature models wearing hop clothing available at thrift stores. Other activities will include danve perforances, wing eating contests, free food, and more!!!
Rockville Campus – Theatre Arts Building
51 Mannakee Street
Rockville, MD 20850
Room: Theatre Arts Arena
Monday April 23 – Whole Foods Green Eats, 12-3 p.m., CC 015
* A Healthy Eating booth/table with HE materials and samples
* A Healthy Eating 101 power point
* And a cooking class: “Tips, Trick and Techniques to Healthy Cooking
Sign Up Online: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GreenEats
Tuesday April 24 – Campus Green Up, 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m., TA Patio
* Promote recycling and proper trash disposable.
* Cleaning of the outer campus center parking lot to the fence area.
* Collect recyclables and trash located in Campus Center Building
Free Earth Day t-shirt give away to the first 50 participants
To Sign Up Online: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CampusGreenUp
Tuesday April 24 – U.S. Green Building Council Speaker, 12-1:30 p.m., TC 214
Tuesday April 24 – Oxfam Banquet, 5-6:30 p.m., TA Arena
* Experience the inequities of food distribution that plague the world.
* Participants determine their class status by a random drawing. At the banquet a percentage of high, middle and low class will receive a sumptuous meal.
* With each of these meals participants will engage in an exploration of the causes of global hunger as well as strategies to ease hunger in our own communities and across the world.
* Guest SpeakersAdmission ranges from food donations to $5 for students (discounts available) and $10 for faculty, staff and administrators. Monies and can food donations will be collected at the door.
Wednesday April 25- Earth Day Festival, 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m., TA Patio
Earth Day Festival
* Local Organizations/ Vendors
* Go Green Departments
* Club Fun Activities
* Earth Day Pledge
* Bike Give AwayThursday April 26 – Green Service Day, 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m., TA Patio* Planting flowers with Early Child Development Center.
* Planting Seeds in cups to give to local DDA agencies (JFGH, SEEC, ARC)Sign Up Online: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GreenServiceDay
Takoma Park/Silver Spring Campus
From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Wednesday, April 25
the Montgomery College, Takoma Park/ Silver Spring Campus will be celebrating Earth Day as well as informing students about the Smokeless Stove Project that is part of the MC India Initiative.Visit the Earth Day tables in the Atrium of the ST Building. Information on earth-friendly volunteer opportunities will be available, as will student speakers and demonstration of a Smokeless Stove. The goal is to raise enough donations to purchase two stoves for http://www.Help-Kids-India.org
. Donors will receive a commemorative bookmark!DID YOU KNOW:
- More than two million people, mostly women and children, die from indoor smoke pollution caused by unventilated cooking (World Health Organization).
- In India alone, 600,000 people die from this cause.
- “Smokeless stoves” reduce indoor concentrations of carbon monoxide gases by 76 percent (Massachusetts Institute of Technology).
- Nongovernment agencies (NGOs) like Help-Kids-India help rural villagers build and install these smokeless stoves for just $32We’ll also be accepting your plastic grocery bags for re-use in the Smart Sacks program. For more information, contact MC-TP/SS Office of Service Learning, 240-567-1527 or 240-567-3992.
Tuesday April 24th–Earth Day organizers and student volunteers hope to raise awareness about global environmental issues and provide resources for our community to make greener life choices. There will be something for everyone!
8-9 a.m. bus stop – Green Awards to student bus riders who reduce our carbon footprint
11 a.m. to 1 p.m. – outside quad area (rain: bookstore lobby/cafeteria)
Green exhibits – recycling news, protecting Montgomery County’s watershed, and more…
Recycling booths – get rid of your old cell phones (for soldiers) and plastic grocery bags (for Manna Food-Smart Sacks)
Carnival games – made from recyclables – $1 donation for 5 tickets to play games and win prizes. All proceeds donated to http://www.Help-Kids-India.org for smokeless cook stoves
Educational displays – inspect a model of a smokeless cook stove and learn about the environmental impact of indoor air pollution in the developing world
Raffle and craft sale – all proceeds benefit Help-Kids-India.org
For more information or accommodations, contact MC-Germantown Student Life, 240-567-7840, SA 186.